Welcome to the National Foreign Language Center (NFLC). As a research institute of the University of Maryland, the NFLC works to define current and future language needs of the nation and helps build capacity to meet those needs. Our mission is to be of service to:
- Policy makers at the federal, state, and local levels
- Foundations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) with interest in language issues
- Educational leaders and teachers in our schools, colleges, and universities
- Language program managers in academe as well as in federal agencies
- Federal offices and agencies with language responsibilities
- The ethnic heritage communities in the United States, their leaders, school principals, and teachers
- Private sector enterprises needing and providing language personnel, services, and tools
- Foreign government language offices working in the United States
Through research, collaborations, consultations, and projects, the staff and the fellows of the NFLC are dedicated to improving the nation's ability to understand and communicate with people around the world and to manage the unprecedented flow of information resulting from globalization.
My colleagues and I would be happy to provide further information about the NFLC. We look forward to hearing from you.